NYC Fitness & Yoga Pass Book Adventures

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Integral Yoga Institute

Integral Yoga

Venturing out alone, I joined the gentle hatha class expecting a restorative yoga experience. The instructor, nurturing like a sweet grandma, geared the class to students’ needs. Since there were only 3 other women in the class besides me, 2 of them were beginners, and all 3 were over 50, I knew that this class wasn’t right for me. In a span of 90 minutes, we did 6 poses and a lot of, what I felt was dawdling around. Half way through the class, the instructor told us to get into cobra. I eagerly went into full cobra mode as the teacher slowly gave out the instructions. She looked at me and said, “No, just keep your head 2 inches from the ground. You don’t want to strain the neck.” The class should be called “gentle senior hatha.”

Integral Yoga Institute is exactly that - an institution including an enormous 2-floor studio with 6 rooms, bookstore, health food store, and a vitamin shop across the street. What's next?... a college for enlightenment and yogi philosophy? Franchising yoga is an oxymoron and should be prevented as much as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home